While winter seems like it’s already been here for way too long, its impact on our heating bill is just beginning. Keeping energy costs low during the coldest months of the year can be a challenge, but that doesn’t mean you can’t take steps to potentially reduce those costs. That’s why we’ve jotted down a few furnace tips to help stave off high heating bills.
To start controlling your heating bills and increasing your energy efficiency this winter, consider:
- Keeping your blinds open throughout the warmest hours of the day to let sunlight in, warming your home naturally.
- Sealing cracks around your home’s windows and doors with caulk or weather stripping.
- Installing a programmable thermostat so that you can more easily control the temperature in your home, which will also improve energy efficiency.
- Cleaning or replacing your furnace filter every few months.
- Making sure your home’s heating vents are open and aren’t blocked by any obstructions
- Replacing your old furnace with a newer, more efficient model if your furnace has been around for more than 15 years.
- Installing insulation to your attic to keep heat from escaping.
- Checking your roof to confirm your shingles are intact, and that no holes or areas need sealing.
Attempting to keep your energy bills to a minimum and energy efficiency at a maximum, is a year-round effort, one that can seem overwhelming at times. However, that doesn’t mean that you can’t do some of the smaller things to make sure you’re keeping your bills as low as possible. If you have any questions related to the tips above or questions about how you can lower your heating bills, give us a buzz at 803-220-0761. Our experts are here to help make sure your home is comfortable all year long, even with the crazy Rock Hill weather.