On average, air ducts need to be cleaned every three to five years according to the National Air Duct Cleaners Association
. Dependent on a lot of factors—like your home’s location, if you have pets, and how often your air filter has been replaced, to name a few—you may need to have air duct cleaning
more or less often. So, how can you find out for sure when it’s time to have your ducts cleaned? There are absolutely some significant signs when it’s time.
Look for these clues:
- Are your cold air returns covered with dust or pet hair?
- Is there a jam within your cold air return vent?
- Are your registers wafting out dust?
- When you look inside with a flashlight, can you see an accumulation of debris or pet fur?
- Have insects or rodents found shelter in your ductwork?
- Can you hear clatter other than your blower motor when you listen to the airflow?
- When your vents are fully opened, do any have not as much airflow than others?
If you answered “yes” to any of these questions, it’s most likely time to ask US Air Heating and Cooling in Rock Hill about air duct cleaning.
Prolonging Time Between Air Duct Cleaning
There are a couple things you can do to help keep your ducts cleaner and lengthen the period of time between expert cleanings.
Above all, setup annual HVAC maintenance with the professionals at US Air Heating and Cooling. A service of your furnace each fall and your AC each spring, which should comprise of inspection, and possible replacement, of your air filter, will help keep your HVAC system operating well, and may help keep your ducts clean.
You can also converse with the team at US Air Heating and Cooling about installing an air purification system. We have the Lennox PureAir Air Purification System, Healthy Climate Carbon Clean 16 Media Air Cleaner, Healthy Climate 11 Media Air Cleaner, Healthy Climate High-Efficiency Particulate Air (HEPA) Filtration System and Healthy Climate UV Germicidal Lights.
Other steps you can take include:
- Regularly dusting and vacuuming your home.
- Inspecting your air filters habitually and changing them when the manufacturer recommends exchanging them. Most filters will display dust on them after a short period in service, but they may not demand replacement.
- Sealing drips in air ducts that permit dust to move in from areas like your attic.
- Replacing poor or damaged air-duct insulation.
With an expert air duct cleaning and some preventive measures, you can help keep the air in your Rock Hill home clean and healthy. Give the pros at US Air Heating and Cooling a call at 803-220-0761.